Shed Those Long Sleeve Shirts and Show Off Your Sexy Upper Arms!
Wearing a sleeveless shirt or tank top should not be something you dread, but for patients who have lost elasticity in their upper arms, it can be. Either age or weight loss, or both together, can leave your arms with excess skin and flabby tissue, leading to the dreaded “bat wing” look. Luckily, in today’s day and age, you don’t have to settle for hiding under long sleeves and heavy jackets! Modern-day arm lift or brachioplasty surgery offers a way to improve the contour of your arms and help you achieve toned, sexy arms that you are proud to show off!
Removing the excess skin from the upper arms to tone and tighten the area does have a trade-off in the form of a scar. However, patients usually feel that the benefits of increased confidence and better self-image outweigh anything else. You may be a candidate for arm lift surgery if:
- Your weight is stable, but you are unhappy with lax shape of your upper arms
- You have excess upper arm skin and fat after significant weight loss
- The shape of your arms affects your self-esteem and your self-confidence
Dr. Ross Bunch is a Board certified plastic surgeon who prides himself in offering a fully range of body lifting procedures, like the arm lift, to his patients in the Tuscaloosa, AL area. At Plastic Surgery of Tuscaloosa, we understand the frustration patients feel when they have done all they can with diet and exercise only to find themselves in a situation where they are still unhappy with their body shape. Here in the South, it is difficult to hide arms with heavy or loose skin under layers of clothes, and why should you have to? Dr. Bunch and his highly trained staff can help give you surgical options that improve both aesthetics and function, and are customized to give you the toned, sleek arm contour you want.
What You Can Expect From An Arm Lift Procedure
Although exercise can help strengthen the muscles in the upper arms, unfortunately, it cannot get rid of excess skin, and that’s where an arm lift procedure can help. The amount of extra tissue you have will determine the extent of the procedure that you will need to get a good arm contour. We will discuss your options thoroughly with you prior to deciding which course of action best fits your anatomy and specific goals.
The procedure is performed under general anesthesia and the length of the procedure will depend on which of the following surgical techniques would benefit you the most:
- Limited incision: If your excess or hanging skin is minimal and located near the armpit, this procedure is ideal. Excess skin is removed and remaining skin tightened through an incision in the armpit.
- Standard: When sagging skin encompasses the entire upper portion of your arm, a standard approach is the best option for you. The incision starts at the armpit and runs down along the back of the arm to the elbow.
- Extended: An extended approach may be appropriate when there is a significant portion of loose skin in the arm area, extending past the armpit down the chest wall. The incision mirrors that of a standard arm lift, but again, may be extended on the side of the chest to address this area as well.
All of these approaches can be combined with liposuction if debulking of fat deposits is also necessary. Because the skin in this area tends to stretch quite a bit, it is vitally important you take enough time to heal properly after surgery, at least 1-2 weeks. Although your scar will fade with time, it is important to keep in mind that it is located in a visible location. Nevertheless, most patients find the improved arm contour and boost in self-esteem is well worth it!
Contact Plastic Surgery of Tuscaloosa
At Plastic Surgery of Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa, AL, Dr. Ross Bunch and his professional staff stand out as a practice offering the most advanced cosmetic and reconstructive procedures in the industry. We are well-established in the community and have a reputation for high quality patient care and excellent customer service. Dr. Bunch is a Board Certified Plastic Surgery who has received extensive training in microsurgery, facial and rhinoplasty surgery, and endoscopic surgery techniques and brings a specialized skill and artistry to every procedure he performs. Our mission is to restore form, function, and beauty to all aspects of your body.
If you are interested in learning more about arm lift surgery or any other body contouring procedures, please contact our office at 205-349-0049. We look forward to speaking with you and to scheduling your consultation with Dr. Bunch!